How Do Living Things Stay Safe And Grow?
How Do Living Things Stay Safe and Grow? is part of Smithsonian Science for the Classroom, a new curriculum series by the Smithsonian Science Education Center. It is aligned to a group of grade 1 standards. It has a focus on life science with a secondary focus on engineering. In this module, students:
- Use observations of adult plants and animals as evidence that offspring are very similar to, but not exactly like, their parents
- Obtain information from text, images, video, and a simulation to determine how patterns of behavior help offspring survive
- Explore how external parts of plants and animals help them survive, grow, and meet their needs
- Mimic external parts of plants and animals in designing a tool to solve a human problem
- Apply their knowledge of behaviors and external parts to “survive” in a hypothetical game
Below are digital resources that support teaching of this module.
Ada Asks Introduction (1:21)
Ada introduces students to the module.
What Am I? Answers
This file shows the correct sorting of the cards.
Young Dama Gazelle (0:26)
This video shows a young gazelle at the Smithsonian National Zoo.
Parent and Offspring
This photo shows a parent penguin with two chicks.
These photos show bald eagles at different life cycle stages.
This file has simplified rules for engaging in argument from evidence.
This photo shows adult and young cows.
This video shows a penguin parent feeding a chick.
This photo shows adult and young rockhopper penguins.
The Penguin Protection simulation is available as a website for computers. Download the application for use on tablets or mobile devices (coming soon).
The Penguin Protection simulation gives students the opportunity to choose which behaviors will best help a penguin chick.
This photo shows a penguin parent bending down to feed its chick.
These photos show different animals and their claws.
Ada Asks Engineering (1:06)
Ada introduces students to the engineering task.
Survival Game Rules
This file contains simple rules to guide students in playing the Survival Game.
This file contains several questions to guide students in conducting an interview.
Kit Tips & Tricks