This year we introduce a new academy focused on Space Science by collaborating with the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA), for local teachers in the Boston area. The Space Science SSEAT Academy combines training in science pedagogy, including learning to integrate authentic tools of the space science, with content presented by scientists and researchers who are experts in the field of astronomy and space science.
Features of the 2019 Space Science SSEAT:
- One week-long unique PD programs specified in space science that are aligned to the Massachusetts Science Standards and NGSS (will cover the concepts of seasons, lunar phases, eclipses, etc.).
- Providing hands-on and digital learning experience that teachers can bring to classrooms.
- Incorporating the CfA developed authentic astronomy tools for science class to investigate the Universe: WorldWide Telescope & MicroObservatory.
- Incorporating the SSEC’s curriculum, Space Systems Exploration.
- Keynote sessions by distinguished scholars: Dr. Margaret Geller, Dr. Phil Sadler, and Dr. Alyssa Goodman.
- Field trips to the Chandra X-ray Operations Control Center, the CfA’s cutting-edge research labs, and the CfA’s old observatory and historical archives place.
This unique PD is possible by the Smithsonian Youth Access Grant 2019.
Questions? Contact: LeeHy@si.edu