We offer Smithsonian Institution benefits including health, dental, vision and life insurance, 10 paid holidays, telework options, transit subsidy (we are conveniently located near L'Enfant Plaza Metro station on the blue/orange/silver and green/yellow lines) and health and dependent care flexible spending account (FSA).
Find out more here!
Science Curriculum Developer
We are currently seeking a Science Curriculum Developer. This person will report to the Manager of Curriculum Development and will be primarily responsible for assisting with the planning, design, production, and editing of SSEC science education curriculum and other print and digital material.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a Trust Appointment, not a Federal position. Appointment background investigation is required. This position is located in Washington, DC. You must live in the local commuting area of Washington, DC. This is not a remote position.
- Responsible for writing and editing K-8 science education curriculum and other digital or print information on subjects related to science and science education
- In collaboration with a team of other writers and editors, assist in the development of new print and digital curricular products
- The incumbent identifies and integrates scientific expertise from across the Smithsonian Institution to integrate into SSEC’s curricular offerings
- The incumbent will stay current with the latest scientific research taking place among the Smithsonian scientific community and advise SSEC staff of potential collaborations
- The incumbent will ensure accuracy of all scientific content published by SSEC via print and digital channels
- The incumbent interviews subject-matter specialists and program officials when the information needed is not available or not verifiable through other research methods.
- The incumbent contributes to SSEC’s blog (STEMVisions) content according to SI guidelines.
Required knowledge and skills:
- A demonstrated passion for science and education
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a natural science or engineering.
- Portfolio of science writing or curriculum development,
- Ability to establish and uphold deadlines
- An understanding of the needs of K-8 teachers and students
- Ability to work collaboratively and constructively as part of a team
- Ability and confidence to delegate work effectively among team-members
- Comfortable with receiving and providing constructive critique and feedback
- Understanding of the Next Generation Science Standards
- Skilled in writing and thorough knowledge of Standard English grammar and usage.
- Ability to communicate effectively to translate scientific information into written materials.
- A great sense of humor and passion for educational innovation
Preferred knowledge and skills:
- Advanced degree in education, natural science, or related field.
- Understanding of the Next Generation Science Standards and how they apply to curriculum materials
- Understanding of the research into how students learn science
HOW TO APPLY
How to Apply: Send by email only: cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to SSEC-HR@si.edu. Reference in the subject line of your email: Science Curriculum Developer
Please, no phone calls. EEO