We are currently seeking a Program Assistant. This person will report to the Division Director of Professional Services and assist the Professional Services Division with general administrative support including preparing travel documents, assisting with on-site events, and materials development.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a Trust Appointment, not a Federal position. Appointment background investigation is required.
- Gathers educational research and resources related to best practices for professional development.
- Develops and prepares briefings on updated and informational resources related to leadership and professional development programming.
- Assist in the development of materials for professional development modules focused on content and practices as well as Strategic Planning Institutes, Building Awareness Conferences, and other Professional Services events.
- Supports the development of event agendas, speaker biographies, lists of participants, maps of facilities, and dinner programs.
- Prepares contracts and Statements of Work for review and higher approval and utilizes the Concur and PeopleSoft systems, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Coordinate pre-event and post-event activities such as: conducting on-site setup of audiovisual equipment, LAN and laptops, PowerPoint presentations, and videos.
- Works with regional partners to manage logistics of events including securing venues, catering and providing logistics information to participants.
- Communicates with program faculty and trainers regarding travel arrangements, itineraries, program agendas, etc.
- Maintain a record of Professional Services evaluations and transcripts, process evaluations from Professional Services events, works with faculty, special presenters and trainers to obtain biographical information, update event management listing after each event, and collects all material after each event.
- Prepares routine correspondence such as memos and emails with correct spelling, grammar, format and accuracy of information.
- Provide a variety of administrative support services, such as maintaining and updating budget expenses on spreadsheets, review, reconciliation and filing of travel expenses, travel authorizations, vouchers, and receipts.
- Manages the Division Director’s travel and calendar.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supports the day-to-day administration of the Professional Services Division, including:
- Working with SSEC staff to develop proposals for grants and gifts to support the work of the Services Division.
- Gathering and analyzing evaluation data.
- Attending and contributing to meetings on behalf of the SSEC.
- Purchasing products and services as needed to support high quality educational programs.
The successful candidate will be expected to travel to venues nationwide and provide on-site assistance at SSEC events with audiences that include leaders in education, district science specialists and classroom teachers.
- A demonstrated passion for science and education.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree preferably in a natural science or science education.
- Ability to plan and organize work and work with a team, often under the challenges of multiple projects and short deadlines.
- Ability to interact and negotiate diplomatically, effectively, collaboratively, and on a sustained basis with Smithsonian Institution staff members, donors, sponsors, registrants and SSEC Advisory Board members.
- Skilled in writing and thorough knowledge of Standard English grammar and usage.
- Ability to communicate clearly and succinctly verbally and to effectively translate scientific information into written materials.
- A great sense of humor and passion for educational innovation.
How to Apply:
Send by email only: cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to SSEC-HR@si.edu. Reference in the subject line of your email: Program Assistant.
Submit your resume in chronological format only.
Please, no phone calls. EEO
We offer Smithsonian Institution benefits including health, dental, vision and life insurance, 10 paid holidays, telework options, transit subsidy (we are conveniently located near L'Enfant Plaza Metro station on the blue/orange/silver and green/yellow lines) and health and dependent care flexible spending account (FSA).
Find out more here!