Education Technology Specialist
The Education Technology Specialist is responsible for independently producing high quality STEM products across digital and print media from conception through completion, within established budget and deadlines. The Education Technology Specialist will create web and other digital STEM products including websites, online learning platforms, videos, simulations, interactives, apps, interactive e-books, and digital games principally within the subject-matter area of STEM.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a Trust Appointment, not a Federal position. Appointment background investigation is required.
A. Interactive Programming
- Convert written learning objectives into online interactive lessons for an audience of K-12 students.
- Knowledge of how to develop and design web applications and digital games (Unity games, WebGL/HTML5).
- Advise the Curriculum & Communications Division on trends in educational technology development.
B. Interactive Design
- Create websites, interactive e-books and other digital products designed for a K-12 audience.
- Utilize knowledge of user interface and user experience design.
- Review technical developments and propose potential applications.
- Produce designs for interactive web media and print media, including basis design skills using Adobe Create/Suite/Cloud and Illustrator and PhotoShop.
- Discuss and conceptualize web content and resources with the Publications staff.
C. Other Duties
- Conduct user testing and solicit feedback on web produced materials and interactives.
- Stay abreast of industry, technology, web and mobile design advances.
- Contribute to SSEC blog to provide updates about projects.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Interactive/Graphic Design (Web design/development related field is highly desired)
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite Software
- Knowledge of the educational technology, educational technology research, digital tools and applications, and emerging technologies
- Strong problem solving and communications skills
- Excellent attention to detail and time management
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to travel up to 15%
How to Apply:
Send by email only: cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to SSEC-HR@si.edu. Reference in the subject line of your email: Education Technology Specialist.
Please, no phone calls. EEO
We offer Smithsonian Institution benefits including health, dental, vision and life insurance, 10 paid holidays, telework options, transit subsidy (we are conveniently located near L'Enfant Plaza Metro station on the blue/orange/silver and green/yellow lines) and health and dependent care flexible spending account (FSA).
Find out more here!